American University of Madaba
Euro-Arab Center of Interdisciplinary Studies, Climate Change and Sustainability Policy
Strategic Action Plan
This Center is integrated within the AUM center for training and consultation. The ICT lab includes hardware and software for video conferences, whiteboards and Geographical Information System (GIS).
The Mission and Vision of the Center of Interdisciplinary Studies at AUM are coherent with AUM’s Mission, Vision, and Values and CLIMASP’s objectives.
“We constantly have to broaden our horizons and see the greater good which will benefit us all.”[i]
The AUM Interdisciplinary Center produces people who think in a multidisciplinary, intergenerational way about climate change and sustainability policy.
- The center allows faculty and students to take part in interdisciplinary courses and projects related to sustainability policy and climate change, supported by a state-of-the-art ICT facility.
- The center fosters international partnerships to enrich student experiences, to expand faculty capabilities and to broaden resources
- The center reinforces the institutionalization of integrating climate change topics into curricula
- The center provides high quality services such as training and consulting to the wider community
A distinguished center for interdisciplinary education where scholars and students link theory with real world problems and propose novel, sustainable policy solutions to those problems.
We have made a selection of AUM’s core values to accentuate the ones most important to the center.
- Truth and Knowledge – To honor the pursuit of truth in all its manifestations by any ethical method, especially through the integration of knowledge across disciplines, and the imaginative and creative exploration of new ideas.
- Collaboration – To work as teams and collaborate with international institutions to extend educational opportunity, enhance knowledge exchange, and enrich intellectual discourse, quality of education, and research.
- Civic Engagement – To devote adequate resources and energies that create a supportive and productive community serving the citizens of Jordan and, where appropriate, extending to the region and the world.
- Sustainability – To intelligently apply the best scientific and ethical principles for the care and sustainability of natural resources in view of environmental changes, especially climate change
- Responsibility and Merit – To practice ethical judgment on the basis of equity, merit and moral principles and nurture responsible citizenship.
- Quality – To maintain an inspiring, encouraging and rewarding center as the basis for steady and enlightened progress.
- The center will generally help AUM graduate qualified and resourceful students who will be more capable of finding suitable responses to various challenges. This can be accomplished, at least partially, by supporting interdisciplinary courses and providing resources necessary to study and discuss sustainable development and climate change along with the other challenges at the local, regional and global levels.
- Facilitate more effective, nontraditional education techniques
- Facilitate communication and cooperation and promote dialogue among scholars and students in various institutions and across the globe.
- Establish an institutional framework for providing advice and capacity building in developing and revising courses and programs, especially those related to sustainable development and climate change.
develop into a renowned source of information and advice for various stakeholders including policy-makers about issues related to sustainable development and climate change
[i] Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium, paragraph 235