AUM at a Glance
- The history of the American University of Madaba (AUM) begins with a decision by the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem to establish a university in Madaba, Jordan. He envisioned this new university as “a stepping stone for personal and community advancement” and as a place “where ethics, values and moral integrity are pursued at the same time as knowledge and scientific skills are acquired.” These concepts led to the adoption of the AUM motto, Sapientia et Scientia (Wisdom and Science).
- A license to establish a new university was granted by the Higher Education Council of Jordan in 2005 and the cornerstone of the university was blessed by HH Pope Benedict XVI in 2009. In his blessing, the pope confirmed the role of AUM as “a place of understanding and dialogue”. He added that students, while assimilating their own culture, “will be led to a deeper knowledge of human cultural achievements, will be enriched by other viewpoints and [will be] formed in comprehension, tolerance and peace.”
- In 2011, the HEC approved its new name as the American University of Madaba (AUM). In 28 May 2013, AUM was incorporated by New Hampshire Higher Education Commission, USA. AUM is registered charity in the state of New Hampshire.
- Curriculum development, faculty and staff hiring and construction had proceeded sufficiently so that students could enter for the school year 2011/2012. In recognition of the highly successful beginning of the university, His Majesty King Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein completed the preliminary phase of AUM’s history by formally inaugurating the university on 30 May 2013.
- The university began offering classes to its first-year students, all freshmen. By the second year, it realized tremendous growth, tripling in size. The growth rate continued through the third year of operation.
- AUM currently offers bachelor’s degrees for 18 majors in seven faculties (colleges): Engineering, Science, Health Sciences, Information Technology, Art and Design, Business and Finance, Languages and Communication.
- Faculty members have been recruited from throughout the Middle East, Europe and North America. Approximately two-thirds of the faculty members have degrees from US and European universities and classroom instruction is exclusively in English.
- AUM is a traditional American-style four-year university located on a stand-alone campus (more than 100 acres) approximately five miles from the city of Madaba, a historic region in the country of Jordan. On the campus 11 buildings are currently in operation
- AUM is a private, non-profit university that draws upon religious, Jordanian and American values, cultures and education systems to promote, ethical responsibility, social cohesion, mutual respect, hospitality, democracy, peace and coexistence.
- AUM offers a unique learning experience through innovative programs within a multicultural perspective. At AUM, students can take advantage of opportunities offered at large institutions, while studying in small, personalized classes supported by a caring environment.
- AUM is seeking accreditation from New England Association for Schools and Colleges (NEASC), which is the accrediting agency for universities in the State of New England in the USA.
- AUM has a state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly campus that utilizes renewable energy sources, including the largest geothermal heating and cooling system in the Middle East and North Africa. The campus is surrounded by a 1.6 km ring road with wide sidewalks that encourage walking and cycling. In addition, all indoor and outdoor spaces have been designed to accommodate those who are mobility challenged.
- The AUM smart infrastructure includes a building management system (BMS) to control the heating and cooling for various buildings; lighting; automatic control of the distribution of water from the reservoir for various buildings; recycled water from the wastewater treatment plant to supply the irrigation requirement of trees and plants; and access control cards.
- Through the unique combination of established excellence and the rich cultural heritage present in Madaba, AUM produces graduates with unique perspectives and capabilities and greater opportunities for future employment. AUM is providing the next generation with the skills they need to lead and the goal of building a stronger Jordanian community.