The motto of AUM features SAPIENTIA ET SCIENTIA, which expresses Wisdom and knowledge/ Science in Latin. The American University of Madaba (AUM) realizes that its main mission is the cultivation of a much needed wisdom in our society through knowledge and Science.
Coupling SAPIENTIA ET SCIENTIA is the most effective approach in dealing with the socio-economic, environmental and humanistic technological challenges of today’s digital age. Wisdom is a prerequisite for developing the creative societies “where ethics, values and moral integrity are pursued at the same time as knowledge and scientific skills are acquired". Thus, AUM considers Ethical Scientific Research as the main pillar of its creative academic activities.
In order to establish AUM’s visionary leadership at the local as well as the international community, we, at the Deanship of Scientific Research support and facilitate creative research activities at both local and global levels. We aim to create and promote the culture of ethical scientific research with quality outputs through a conducive scholarly environment. Not only faculty researchers but also our students play a major role in achieving excellence in research. Students' best theoretical and practical research with creative projects will be acknowledged and accordingly awarded in yearly celebrations.
Partnership with international research institutions is a vital goal of the Deanship. Since universities, whether international or local, are mainly ranked based on published papers in refereed indexed journals or conference proceedings, AUM will introduce in its regulations provisions allocating substantial budgets and incentives supporting the different aspects of research publications and creative activities, responding to the needs of the local, regional and global markets and industries.
- The Deanship will be energetic in increasing the research citations of AUM through the number of published research articles in international refereed indexed journals and conferences. Our faculties will be encouraged to participate in international projects and innovative events. Establishing a presence in refereed reputable regional and international conferences is a must. The Deanship will implement the regulations of the Scientific Research Council (SRC) through proper applicable University procedures. With the SRC, the deanship will not be the only plan, manage, and support research activities that are by the academic departments through AUM’s internal funding. It will attract external funding of research programs based on interdisciplinary and comprehensive research approaches and methods.
As the Dean of Scientific Research, I shall pursue every reasonable venue to achieve key indicators of quality and distinction of research of high ranking among the local and international universities. The research deanship is seeking to accomplish these goals summed as follows:
- To integrate research initiatives in the university mission.
- To develop research skills for the academic staff and students.
- To raise the international ranking of the University through unique scientific research projects in partnership with well-known distinguished institutions.
- To monitor work progress in supported research projects to ensure completion according to proper specified time periods.
- To improve and sustain the level of the faculty research at the university through funding the proposals of scientific research projects submitted to the deanship.
- To encourage the submission of highly competitive research proposals for external funding.
- To revise the regulations of scientific research, under the direction of the university president, helping and motivating researchers to better their tasks and raise the quality of their outputs.
- To create and develop partnership and cooperation between the university and local communities and national institutions
- To promote team spirit and frameworks to achieve these objectives.
Professor Dr Naif Haddad
Dean of Scientific Research and Graduate Studies